- This topic is empty.
9 May 2023 at 4:29 pm #17432GwenModerator
Notes – Transitions Stakeholder Event
Hosted by: Josh, Nickie & Gwen
Where I Want to Live – Louise Keevil
Where I Want To Live has been created by families and experts who have direct experience of supporting and guiding young adults to make choices about where and how they live. Together we promote the vision of a country where adults with learning disabilities have real choices about where and how they live.
Everyone seems to agree that adults with learning disabilities should have choice and control over their lives and legislation supports this. However, despite everyone’s best efforts, this is often not the case.
We are aiming for positive social impact – we plan to create an inclusive, person-centred approach to help young people make decisions about their own future, championing ambition and treating each individual with respect and integrity.
Currently gathering information and data around mapping and exploring what options are available to families and individuals through an interactive platform.
Shared Lives Toolkit – AWF
AWF have been working with Shared Lives Plus to develop an initial toolkit that highlights the scheme as an option for families looking to transition. The discussion involved feeding into the conversations had to co-produce the purpose, accessibility, layout and content of this initial resource.
Key comments were –
- This shouldn’t be ‘overwhelming’ it should be an initial document that raises awareness of the scheme with families as early as possible.
- Content needs to reflect the concerns that families will have at this stage of life and there needs to be links to further peer and professional support.
- More families need to feed into the process and co-producing this and there needs to be a longer-term conversation about how this information might be presented to families.
Growing the Network
- Detailed visual created via Jamboard, click here. Growing our Network – Transitions SM April 23 – Visual
- More cross-sector involvement is needed to grow the network to maximise the impact and scope of the network.
- Health care professionals would be useful in these conversations
- More providers, such as housing providers, more possible Shared Lives Schemes could help support more opportunities and learning for families
Transitions – Stakeholder Event – 11:00am – 12:30pm on the 24/10/2023 (hybrid)
Register in advance for this meeting:
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.